Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tasty Tuesday:
Samoa Cake

YES, like the Girl Scout Cookie - not the Independent State located in the South Pacific. 

So my birthday is next week but my family and I celebrated this past weekend while we were all together for Easter. My mom made this cake for my early celebration and I am now reassured that she loves me. We'll see if this feeling is the same by the end of this week -  my Mastercard bill will be there by Friday..

Reminiscing on my Girl Scout days - On my honor, I will try...to enjoy this cake to the fullest and not share any of the leftovers!! Done. How 'bout that troop leaders?

Mom found this recipe on Pinterest.


BEGIN:
Batter #1 (two batters to create a 'marble' effect)
  • 1 stick of butter, softened
  • 1 cup of dark brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 3/4 cup ap flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup whole milk
Batter #2
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup + 2 T ap flour
  • 1/2 cup + 2 T cocoa powder
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup boiling water
  • 1/2 cup milk
and, of course, the frosting..
  • 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
  • 2 T vanilla extract
  • 2 sticks butter, softened
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup toasted coconut
  • topping 1 1/2 cups toasted coconut
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted
WARNING: Making this cake is very time consuming but sooooo worth it!

The original recipe calls for submerging your unopened can of condensed milk in your crock pot by at least 3 inches while cooking it on medium for 10 hours or on high for 7; OR you can boil it on the stove fully submerged at all times for 4 hours and let it cool. 

ALTERNATIVELY, my oh-so-productive and non-baking, Italian mother used Dolce de Leche instead of cooking the condensed milk. Same thing!

However, and I quote, "I had to go to a Mexican grocery story to find it, though." Cómo se dice big pain in the ass.... Gran dolor en el culo! Thank you, Google Translate.
Now... 



Preheat the oven to 350F
Prepare each batter separately. Once prepared, in separate bowls sift together dry ingredients for each batter. Add  dry ingredients to wet ingredients slowly and mix until well combined.
(add boiling water for cocoa cake HERE)
Grease and flour the bundt pan REALLY, REALLY WELL!
layer the cake pouring some of the brown sugar batter, then cocoa batter, then brown sugar, until both batter bowls are empty. Bake approximately 1 hour or until skewer inserted in center comes out clean. 
LET COOL ENTIRELY
For the frosting
toast sweetened flaked coconut either on a cookie sheet in the oven on 350F tossing occasionally or in a dry skillet constantly stirring until desired color is reached. Beat cooled cooked condensed milk, butter, confectioners sugar, vanilla and salt for 3 minutes. Add in 1 cup toasted coconut. Chill for 1 hour
frost cake with frosting and top with remaining toasted coconut.
melt chocolate chips in the microwave, place in a pastry bag with a small tip or ziploc bag with a corner cut out about 1/4″ up from the corner, and drizzle stripes on the cake.
DONE. ((pheww))



Side note...

So I did end up sharing the cake with one of my oldest and truest friends, and her family. In exchange for cake, they brought me something so sweet, so perfect; the absolute essence of my being and the MOST appropriate birthday gift - an all chocolate stiletto heel, with little chocolates inside!

Attention shoe lovers, this is what heaven looks like..

This scrumptious heel of perfection can be found at the one & only Enjou Chocolat located in the best town in Jersey!
Enjou Chocolat
8 DeHart Street, Morristown, NJ 07960


Special shout out to the Johnson Family for knowing me all too well!!! 
Love, Filter.


1 comment:

  1. Ooh man - this is the birthday cake I missed out on?!!? WOW, I am a fool... YUM - It looks sinfully delicious!

    ReplyDelete